Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The Very Best, Part 1

"You want me to what?"

"I understand that this is a drastic request, but I possess no transportation of my own. You, however, are an adventurer. You have seen many places, and can aid me greatly in my quest."

"I've only just gotten home... How long is this even going to take?"

"Less than a month, by my estimation."

"Hrmm." Gloria scratched her chin in thought.

"It is simple," Viola said, clasping her hands together as she went over the basics one more time. "To be eligible to take the Pokemon League challenge, I must first defeat eight of their certified 'leaders' in Pokemon duels of various type. Once I have accomplished this, I can attempt to immortalize myself in the Hall of Fame."

"Why did you never attempt this before?"

"Before, I lacked the confidence in myself and my Pokemon. Now, I know from my experiences that anything is possible. Tenshi wishes to become known forever in history as a warrior. So, too, shall I, in my own way."

"Well, it sounds good for your confidence, all right. I hate to leave my library again so soon, but... maybe I should get out a bit more. I've done nothing but go between my house and the library for three weeks now."

"Excellent. Join me."

Viola produced a map riddled with circles.


"There are eight people with the certification to become a 'leader' in this country. One of them is right here in New York, but the other seven are scattered across the country.

This could be considered a 'road trip'."

-----

Gym 1: Manhattan, New York; Rock type, One-on-One Battle
Gym 2: Lake Erie, Ohio; Water type, Triple Battle
Gym 3: Nashville, Tennessee; Normal type, Contest Battle
Gym 4: The Florida Everglades; Bug type, Pokethelon
Gym 5: Houston, Texas; Steel type, Rotation Battle
Gym 6: Boulder, Colorado; Ground type, Double Battle
Gym 7: Devil's Lake, North Dakota; ??? type, Four-On-Four Battle
Gym 8: Las Vegas, Nevada; ??? type, Standard Battle

-----

-MANHATTAN, NEW YORK-
-POKEMON GYM-

"Um, hello?" Gloria peered into the dark as Viola pushed open the door. "Is anyone here?"

"The door was unlocked... the gym seems abandoned. No... that cannot be right. it is too clean."

A voice rang out in the dark.

"A one-woman man's what I wanna be!
Stay by her side soooo faithfully!
I would if I could, but it's just no good!
'Cuz there's two perfect girls for meeeeeeee... HAHAHA! ALL RIGHT!"

The lights came on.


"Viola, oh Viola!
Gloria, ol' glory!
A one-woman-man's what I wanna be but there's two perfect girls for me!"

"...How do you know our names?"

Brock cheerfully ignored the question in order to continue singing.

"Oh yeah~

Viola Nightshade! Can't you see?
I get all shook up by all your spooky
Viola, I think about you all the time
And I'd just love to make you mine

Your creepy-cute aesthetic is simply the best
And your scary experiments pass every test
You should ditch Tenshi, come along with me
At least I'd say that...
(at least I WOULD say that)
Least I'd say that if I hadn't seen Gloryyyyyyyyyy

~~~hoo~~~

Viola, oh Viola!
Gloria, ol' glory!
A one-woman-man's what I wanna be but there's two perfect girls for me!"

Viola was covering her mouth with her face lit up with color. Gloria looked simultaneously amused and offended.

"All right~

Gloria, won't you please
Translate all this legalese
It's extra complicated but I think it'll say
That I'd like you to be mine today

My temperature rises every time I see her
Encarta, babe, I'm a true believer
You've gotta be the one, you're smart and you're cute
So why am I in love
(whyyy am I in love)
Why am I in love with the goth chick toooooooooo-"

SLAP

Gloria glared at Brock, her hand still in the air. "My friend came here for a gym battle, not a serenade."

"R-right... yes. Sorry. I, uh, um... yeah."

-----

"Okay! This is a one-on-one battle, so there's no room for error! Good luck, challenger!"

Brock grinned and sent out his choice for battle...



Viola recoiled slightly in surprise, but Gloria remained unfazed. "It's big, Viola, but it's not unstoppable!"

"You're right... I know who shall face it."


Expecting to see Gourgeist, it was Gloria's turn to be surprised when Durant appeared instead.

Onix started with Rock Slide. An avalanche of boulders tumbled towards the tiny ant Pokemon, and when the dust cleared there was just a pile of rocks. Brock smiled.

"What, that's it? Come on, I expected better than-"

Durant burst from the ground and slammed into Onix's side, having avoided the rocks entirely with Dig. Onix bellowed and swung its' tail at Durant, but the bug pressed itself against the ground and the attack missed. Durant hopped onto Onix, sharpening its' appendages with Hone Claws before starting to spam Metal Claw, scraping up the rock Pokemon's bouldery composition. Onix retaliated by slamming its' whole body against the ground, rattling Durant and dislodging it. The rock snake followed up with a Dig of its' own, and Durant gave chase.

Viola and Brock looked mildly nervous as they heard the rumbling in the ground from Onix and Durant fighting. After a few tense minutes, Onix erupted from the ground, Durant clamped to its' back. It dug in with all six legs and used Iron Head, rattling Onix's brain and knocking it out.

KO

"...It looks impressive, but Onix is not really that powerful of a Pokemon."

Brock slumped his shoulders. "Yeah, you're right about that one... Okay, you got me. You've earned the Boulder Badge."


BADGE GET

"Pack your possessions, Gloria. We depart tomorrow for Lake Eerie. I am certain it is a wonderfully gloomy place."

No comments:

Post a Comment