Saturday, June 22, 2013

Unfinished Business: A Look at my Pokemon Card Collection

So, as Chatzy-dwellers know, I have recently decided to make an effort to finish my old Pokemon card collections after taking stock on a whim and seeing I was quite close to finishing some of my sets.

I started collecting Pokemon cards in 1999 (like just about everyone else) and spent about a year feverishly gathering pieces of paper until they were banned at my school. With my trading outlet gone, my collecting faltered, eventually petering out entirely around 2003.

My personal criteria of what constitutes a complete set is pretty loose. Here's the basics:

1: Several card sets feature both holofoil and non-holo versions of certain cards. As long as I have one or the other, I consider that card obtained.
2: There were numerous reprints of older cards in the series. For instance, cards in the original Base Set were reprinted in Base Set 2 and the Legendary Collection. I readily accept these reprints as counting towards the total - all that matters is the card's content, especially its' art.
3: Sure, I'd love pristine, mint cards of everything, but if the only Ninetales I can find is battered and worn, then by Elohim it's going in the binder.
4: As for what sets to collect - I have limited myself to a group of sets that were all released during Pokemon's early years. Have you SEEN how many sets the TCG has now? It's utterly ridiculous. I've pared things down to a total of seven different sets - four from the TCG and three others, plus a couple promotional and bonus sets to bring the grand total of "sets" to nine.

Base Set: 21 cards to go
Cards Needed: Chansey, Charizard, Hitmonchan, Nidoking, Raichu, Venusaur, Zapdos, Pidgeotto, Raticate, Clefairy Doll, Devolution Spray, Imposter Professor Oak, Item Finder, Pokemon Breeder, Pokemon Trader, Scoop Up, Super Energy Removal, Maintenance, Pokemon Flute, Revive, Double Colorless Energy
This was the original 102-card set that introduced the world to the Pokemon Trading Card Game. Over half of the cards I need to complete the set are Trainer cards, plus Double Colorless Energy. The rest is holographic rares (including, of course, Charizard) except the non-holo rare Pidgeotto and, inexplicably, the uncommon Raticate. How did I miss a Base Set uncommon, jeez.

Jungle: 3 cards to go
Cards Needed: Electrode, Jolteon, Scyther
The second expansion of the trading card game. Really close to finishing this one!

Fossil: 7 cards to go
Cards Needed:  Articuno, Ditto, Dragonite, Kabutops, Moltres, Mr. Fuji, Energy Search
The third TCG expansion, and the last of the "original" sets most people are familiar with. These three sets are closely linked, because together they contain all 151 of the original Pokemon (although in the USA, Mew's card was moved out of Fossil and made into a promotional card).

Team Rocket: 3 cards to go
Cards Needed: Dark Charizard, Dark Machamp, Magikarp, (all the trainers?)
I originally wasn't sure if I was going to finish this one, but upon finding out how close I was to victory I decided to go for it. This was the last expansion set to use the original design of the cards - the Gym Leaders set tweaked it a bit, and although it almost went back to the old format for the Neo sets (there were some small changes) it eventually changed again, multiple times. With only three cards left, one of which is uncommon, I have a real shot at this being my first complete TCG set. I've left out the Trainers - I'm not sure if I want to bother with them.

Promo Cards: 3 cards to go
Cards Needed: Ancient Mew, Jigglypuff, Pikachu
Dozens of "promo cards" have been released over the years, but I'm mostly only interested in these. The four cards that promoted the first movie and that were stamped with movie logos are the most special to me, but I always wanted to own Ancient Mew. The Jigglypuff card is the first ever promo card, so I wouldn't mind grabbing that one either.

Southern Islands: COMPLETE
The Southern Islands set is a collection of 18 special cards. The set is notable for featuring several Generation 2 Pokemon despite releasing before Pokemon Gold and Silver, including Slowking, Ledyba, Marill, and Togepi. There's also a Mew card, and several of the cards are reverse holofoil - some of the first ever Pokemon cards to have that distinction. The entire set was sold together, making this the first ever set I completed.

Topps Animation Series
Series 1: 23 cards to go
Series 2: COMPLETE
Series 3: Almost everything to go
Cards Needed (Series 1 only): Charizard, Butterfree, Pidgey, Spearow, Nidorina, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Clefairy, Clefable, Vulpix, Wigglytuff, Zubat, Gloom, Vileplume, Dugtrio, Mankey, Primeape, Kadabra, Alakazam, Victreebel, Ash, Brock, Misty's Staryu
This non-TCG set was actually the first set of cards I collected a lot of, although Base, Jungle, and Fossil were not far behind at all. This set focused on the Pokemon TV show. The meat of the set is a series of Pokemon profile cards. Series 1 featured about half the Pokemon, with the other half split between Series 2 and Series 3. Almost all of my cards are Series 1, but I just recently ordered a complete Series 2 off of eBay. Series 3 is harder to track down - the older two sets seem more common. There are also 'chase' cards in the later two series - probably not worth tracking down.

Topps First Movie Series
Pokemon: The First Movie: 17 cards to go
Pikachu's Vacation: 7 cards to go
Evolution Series: 4 cards to go
Sticker Cards: Everything to go
The Pokemon: The First Movie series is by the same company that made the Animation Series - Topps, best known today for their sports cards. Four different kinds of cards are mashed into this set. You got a subset for the movie, with screenshots and story, the same for Pikachu's Vacation, the pre-movie short, an 'Evolution Series' with cards for the starters and the Dratini line, and a selection of cards with stickers on one side and puzzle pieces on the other. I'm going to talk more about this line in a later post, for a very special reason. You'll see why when the time comes.

Burger King Series: COMPLETE
The final set of Pokemon cards that is meaningful to me is the Burger King collection, a set of 151 cards that were included with Burger King Kids' Meals alongside plastic Pokemon toys. A complete set was being sold on eBay for a pittance so I snatched it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment