Wednesday, April 25, 2012

In Case of Emergency, Add SCIENCE

So last week I was browsing a forum and I used their search function and I noticed it had an identical layout to the Zoofights forums. Now, what gave me cause for minor concern was that this forum had a sticky topic where one of the admins asked people for donations because they had to pay to keep the forum up. So I got to thinking: If this forum requires payment from the admins, wouldn't that apply to the identically-formatted Zoofights Forums? What happens if Zoofights shut down? What of our hundreds of thousands of posts? Our lively match banter and ridiculous RP shenanigans?

For the last 47 hours, there has been a guest viewing the Zoofights Forums. This guest is my new friend and yours, HTTrack, a free program that allegedly mirrors websites and copies them to your computer. HTTrack's first mission is to copy the entirety of the Zoofights Forums. So far it's saved over 1.1 GB of data and written 8555 files. That extremely large filesize is a problem for sharing but perhaps I can lower it by deleting non-essential pages like the login page and whatnot, or maybe I could break up the results into separate topics.

If the worst does happen - there is no Zoofights this year and Major Failure forgets or neglects to pay his hosting fee - or the second worst happens and the Bar is wiped for whatever reason - we'll have a backup. I don't want to lose that summer of madness.

Hope this works!

4 comments:

  1. Good call bro, just like when you printed out those old zoofights things, but this is much more cost efficient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don;t know if I should call you mad or brilliant, Goops, but good luck with it all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goddamn, that's awesome! I've been wondering who that guest was when I checked my old posts for something David said.

    One of the reasons I started the Librarium was to make a small, personal version of what you're doing. If the ZF forums were ever to go out, I have a lot of small details and minor potential plot points I'd permanently lose. Once you clean out the non-essential files you totally gotta throw dat shit my way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goops keeps on blinding us . . . WITH SCIENCE!

    ReplyDelete